Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Money Saving Tips

Who doesn't like saving a buck? Getting free stuff? Stretching a dollar as far as it will go? I sure do! Check out some of the great links to money saving coupons that I've added to this site.

As the daughter of a home economics teacher, my sister and I learned these things at an early age. Some of favorite tips are couponing, piece freezing, and buying in bulk.

So, we probably all have seen some form of those extreme couponing shows. I've never felt like those results were anywhere close to obtainable for the average consumer. However, some of my best couponing deals are for laundry soap, fabric softener, toothpaste and other hygiene products. If you use a coupon and get the smaller size, you can get lots of things close to free! Buying the smaller size is the key! If you can save money here, you can add the savings back to your grocery bill or anywhere else you need extra cash. I can save about $20 each trip.

Buying in bulk and piece freezing go hand in hand. I buy chicken breast, hamburger meat, and pork chops in big family packs and divide into smaller resealable freezer bags. Another tip I like, is to add marinade to the meats before freezing and write on the bag what it is. This is a great Sunday project.
I also like to take my large crock pot and cook several pounds of hamburger meat or chicken breasts up at one time. Meals go much faster and easier when the protein is precooked.

Recently, I've done some comparison pricing between the discount stores and the large bulk discount stores. Not on everything, but for the most part, buying in bulk is cheaper. I buy what's cheaper at the bulk store and then the smaller things at the discount store with a coupon. With these two things together, I can feed my family of three for less than $200 for the entire month! Try some of these tips and see if they work for you and check out the money saving coupon links I've added! Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment